-
August 16th, 2014, 12:43 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Cleaning Up Model 19's and Model 14's
I shined a flashlight into the horns of my Model 19's to get a good look at the bug screens and tangerines behind them and it looks like there may be some dust on or in front of the bug screens. I'm thinking that can't be good for treble to have to travel through dust. Some of you pro's may chuckle at my concern (understandably) and I'm thinking for pro sound PA applications a little dust on or in front of the bug screens may be the least of your worries. For home/hi-fi use, I'm thinking dust there isn't good (and in the words of Frankenstein "FIRE BAD"). Anyone else out there had too much spare time on their hands--obsessive/compulsive enough to worry about this kind of stuff and have any ideas/experience of how to clean the bug screens and area in front of them without clogging them/making it worse and without removing/disassembling anything and without hurting the frams/tangerines/drivers in back of them? FWIW, I listen without the grills in place so I've always worried about the presence of anything between my ears and the drivers/screens which now includes dust. OK, you "pro sound guys" can stop laughing now! (although I know most of you are into home hi-fi as well so are most likely accustomed to and not opposed to this type of knit picking)...
-
August 17th, 2014, 12:43 PM
#2
HB Super Moderator
Re: Cleaning Up Model 19's and Model 14's
Phil this is way off topic.. I'm going to move this to one of the music threads.
-
August 17th, 2014, 03:49 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Cleaning Up Model 19's and Model 14's
LOL yeah.
V o T did say "FIRE BAD"
you could remove the diaphram and blow compressed air thru the phase plug while using a paint brush to loosen the dust on the screen.
Last edited by Phil-G; August 17th, 2014 at 03:55 PM.
Sonic Barbarian
-
August 17th, 2014, 04:28 PM
#4
HB Super Moderator
Re: Cleaning Up Model 19's and Model 14's
you could remove the diaphram and blow compressed air thru the phase plug while using a paint brush to loosen the dust on the screen.
You have to watch though or be careful,as too much air (PSI) will loosen the phase plug, especially a tangerine plug..
-
August 19th, 2014, 11:23 AM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Cleaning Up Model 19's and Model 14's
Anyone know of a less intrusive way that doesn't involve compressed air/removing the fram?
-
August 19th, 2014, 12:39 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Cleaning Up Model 19's and Model 14's

Originally Posted by
voice of the theater
Anyone know of a less intrusive way that doesn't involve compressed air/removing the fram?
dust mites
-
August 20th, 2014, 03:44 PM
#7
HB Super Moderator
Re: Cleaning Up Model 19's and Model 14's
Yeah without removing the diaphragm you don't have too many options.The double sided tape sounds like a good idea.I would also try and wrap it around a pencil or something that is round and flat on one end.And work it all the way around the screen until you remove all the debris.
-
August 20th, 2014, 11:15 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Cleaning Up Model 19's and Model 14's
Thanks guys--I'm going to try the double sided tape idea--sounds like a winner
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks